From Bat Appreciation to Breast Cancer Awareness to Pretzels and more, October is a month to recognize almost everything. October is also International Credit Union Month. Even though credit unions have been around for a hundred years, the public—and especially younger people—are woefully unaware of what credit unions are. So International Credit Union Month is designed to get the word out about the benefits of membership.
There are many benefits to celebrate! Here are just a few:
- Higher interest rates on savings
- Lower interest rates on loans
- Fewer, lower fees than banks
You would think with benefits such as these, more people would join a credit union. Apparently, old habits are hard to break, so we are committed to sharing knowledge and promoting membership during International Credit Union Month.
How many times have you heard it said, “There’s strength in numbers”? Here are a few numbers for you to think about:
- According to CUNA (Credit Union National Association), “Roughly 97 million consumers belong to credit unions—but nearly twice as many don’t.”
- The same study indicated that, “Seventy-one percent of nonmembers age 18 to 24 are not familiar with CUs.”
Credit unions are strong financial institutions, but could be even stronger with greater numbers of younger members. Those members reach their peak borrowing years between age 25 and 44. So if you are a nonmemeber between the age of 25 to 44, what are you waiting for?
Spread the Word
Your credit union is engaged in marketing, promotions, and advertising to get the word out. If you are a member of a credit union, what are you doing to spread the word? We need every member to tell a nonmember why you belong during International Credit Union Month!
The third Thursday of the month is designated as “International Credit Union Day” and this year’s theme is “Dreams Thrive Here.” Could you share a dream with a friend? If you do, also let them know how your credit union is helping you fund that dream!
What’s your dream?
If you aren’t ready to share your dream with a nonmember, at least take the opportunity to share your dream with us! We want to make sure that your dream is not just alive but thriving. So what are you dreaming about?
- A new car? Is your old clunker ready for the junkyard? Does everyone hear you coming? Do you wonder if your vehicle will give out before you get home? Even if your new car is only a new-to-you used car, you’ll get a better rate from us. So what’s your dream car? We’ll help you finance it.
- A dream wedding? Before you contact a wedding planner, you’ll need to check your finances! Weddings are big business these days: rental for the venue, flowers, meal, DJ, photographer, not to mention the dress! Will your wedding planner have advice for paying for it all? Come talk to us! We can help you set up a financial plan to save ahead for that special day. No one wants to begin a marriage by being thousands of dollars in debt.
- Dreaming of a new home? Or a major remodel? October is “National Kitchen & Bath Month.” So take advantage of Credit Union Month to talk to us about financing your next home or upgrading your current place. We have great rates on mortgages and home loans!
- A dream vacation? Where in the world would you like to go? Don’t just dream about it—save up for it! We’ll be happy to show you how. Before you know it, you’ll be checking your dream destination off your bucket list.
- A college fund? The cost of an education has skyrocketed. But don’t let that fact make your dream wither and die. United Financial can help you find ways to save ahead to pay for tuition as well as to borrow at lower interest.
- Saving for retirement? We have sound financial advice for the long haul. We don’t rely on get-rich-quick schemes. International Credit Union Month is a great time to get started.
The More the Merrier
We welcome new members every month of the year. However, Credit Union Month is our month to boast about our great rates and top-notch member service. There is strength in numbers, so invite the people you know to contact us and learn about us. The more the merrier!