We are committed to helping our members avoid the threat of identity theft and to provide resources to protect yourself.
United Financial will never ask you for your personal information in an email, never respond to emails asking for your passwords, Social Security Number, or other personal/financial information.
Phishing is the attempt to solicit your personal information such as your username, password or Social Security Number by an untrustworthy entity. You should never reply to these requests. Instead you should delete the message and all future phishing messages. If you responded to a phishing email with your personal password, you should change your password as soon as possible.
Internet fraud refers to the use of Internet services to present fraudulent solicitations to prospective victims, to conduct fraudulent transactions, or to transmit the proceeds of fraud to financial institutions or to others connected with the scheme. Internet fraud can occur in email, chat rooms, message boards or on websites.
Here are some tips you can use to avoid becoming a victim of cyber fraud:
- Do not respond to unsolicited (spam) e-mail.
- Do not give our personal/financial information over the phone or email, to someone you do not know.
- Do not click on links contained within an unsolicited e-mail.
- Be cautious of e-mail claiming to contain pictures in attached files, as the files may contain viruses. Only open attachments from known senders. Scan the attachments for viruses if possible.
- Avoid filling out forms contained in e-mail messages that ask for personal information.
- If you are asked to act quickly, or there is an emergency, it may be a scam. Fraudsters create a sense of urgency to get you to act quickly.
- If you receive a check or a message stating you “won” something…but need to send money back to the original person. Do Not Do It. This is a scam. You did not win a lottery that you did not play.
Check out our Blog articles about recent scams and additional ways to protect yourself.
We are proud to announce a great service to protect your identity!
IDProtect – you can monitor your credit, review credit report and score and offers fully managed Identity Theft Restoration Services! Available to all checking account members.
Stop into any United Financial Office to shred your personal documents! We have a bin in each lobby provided by Shred Experts! *Please limit 1 box
Visit this website to receive a FREE copy of your Credit Report!
Learn more about Phishing and Pharming. The use of “fake” company emails and websites to steal your personal information.